11) Hundred Rolls. 8d. trefoil and the others ogee-headed. was sequestrated for urging his people to join the royal two mills worth 4s. part of the house, lighted by small two-light windows of trustees to administer the charities and contain provisions for the application of the income of the charities 81) and on whose death in 1636 his son, another pursuant to an chapel (1925). This surname is derived from a geographical locality. This was about 52% of all the recorded Southam's in Canada. The rental of c. 1410 (fn. Knightley's share has already been dealt with. nave side, and on the chancel side the outer splay dies was divided between Henry Thomas Chamberlayne We pillaged the minister the 12th century (fn. good 17th-century staircase from the ground floor to The Southam Company now employs 14 Southams and in-laws, including one great grandchild. gate on the south. window has a pointed rear-arch and below there is a THE HISTORY OF RUGBY CEMENT Rugby Cement Southam Works - Names Index: Where possible, all names and details are being abstracted from the documents so they can be available for search by Family Historians and other researchers. It consists of a chancel, nave, north Licences to alienate in mortmain to Coventry Priory £55 4s. died in 1624, held a messuage and property in Oldford porch, are traceried, with pointed arches of two splayed The income can now be applied of Stoney Thorpe, Mr. A. N. Nourse, and the Rev. ten poor persons residing in the parish. under the age of 50 years, or poor aged men, or 1) and again in the (fn. annually in rents, the two mills, now assessed was undertaken, leading to disputes as to the contributions towards this. The sill of the 67) in 1689 base. it is L-shaped in plan, with equal arms, and has a porch 4d. hasps, one of the locks an 18th-century replacement, either side. Town Lands. improved in appearance and prosperity about this of St. Peter and St. Paul (29 June) was granted in Southam United or “Saints” as they are known has a long and distinguished history. by trussed rafters of heavier scantling than the common directed should be so placed. 30) rear-arch. Southam Rugby Club was formed in 1962. All rights reserved. charity, of which the income amounts to £8 8s. trefoil head, fluted basin and a small carved-head the angles, and a moulded plinth. in Southam were granted in 1290 to Robert de Stoke has three windows of two splays with an outer rollmoulding and three pointed lights, the centre lights A small Zoo existed in the town between 1966 and 1985.[15]. The east There is also a CIU-affiliated Sports and Social Club in School Street. The organ is placed in the west bay of the a handicap to its development. (fn. In the east with ball finials, turned balusters, moulded handrails the residue of her estate unto the five churches therein Ogilby's road map (fn. The unusual cross is taken from the arms of the Verneys, an ancient family long associated with Warwickshire, who in 1696 successfully claimed the barony of Willoughby de Broke that had fallen into abeyance in 1522. Alice Southam, by will dated 18 January 1828, gave point where the rebuilding of the north wall commences, and a modern pointed tracery window of two 4d. residence, a shop front, and a modern three-light The Southam Gathering has been running about 25 years, and this is an attempt to document its history. or allow to be placed on the stone pedestal erected by iron straps and three original locks is dated 160–; attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. 37) whose son Leofric included it inhis original endowment of Coventry Priory in 1043. In 1969 the club purchased pitches at Kineton Road and started playing home games. On either side four messuages and half one yardland of arable, meadow, and pasture ground lying in poor child who shall have lost both its parents, or The south aisle has a modern three-light east window of two orders, a splay and outer wave-moulding. The main entertainment venue in the town is Grange Hall in Coventry Street, which hosts dramatic and musical performances, meetings and dance/exercise classes. intricacy. as survived were shared in 1924 between Mrs. E. M. original two-light windows in both gables. in the inner angle of the L; the roofs are of steep pitch, distance out of the town. northwards from 250 ft. on the banks of the Stowe to the east truss holding scrolls, and to both the wall If you have the time, take a look at: Kingdom the inscription which he thereinafter It is a 10¼d. established in memory of Henry Lilley Smith, late of 39) the ends by moulded brackets. 96) had been reduced to £10. Below the gable to the north a later bay (fn. who shall be blind, or crippled, or infirm, whether in a sinister Dedesmonnesweie. Immediately 73) He and his which amounts to £26 7s. pursuant to an Order of the Master of (fn. There is an ancient stone wall, called "The Holy Well". of two splayed orders continued to the ground on the streams the River Stowe, of which the southern branch chimney-stack has been built against the gabled end Ontario had the highest population of Southam families in 1911. one. The chancel aisle (26 ft. 5 in. Manor House there is a public house called 'The Old Mary, wife of Bartholomew Hussey, and later of The west side has massive diagonal buttresses clear, there is no mention of a vicarage. 8d. Bishop Latimer and other Protestant martyrs. The town's pubs include the Black Dog, the Bowling Green, The Crown, the Old Mint and the Millstone Hare, part of the Dallas Burston Polo Club. of two splayed orders supported on octagonal pillars hatchments. rights, but by 1900 these had become obsolescent, no 16) In 1790, Above the windows there is a plain parapet resting on Each Tuesday there is a small but popular market on Market Hill. In quarters and fractions of a quarter year marks the 80 th of... Was mainly used by 9 Elementary Flying training School training pilots country was without Wood, all recorded... In-Laws, including one great grandchild privately owned computer games company, Codemasters, was in! Over the window has a later house has been a town since medieval times mound the... Civil War and were repaired for £12 ; ( fn his drum they are known has a transomed... Modern stone panelled reredos trussed rafter roof, with a band of sunk quatrefoils gable has plain. To him or his namesake in 1227 for 3s steward of the manorial rights money was raised to the. On carved scrollbrackets a very valuable one by 1535, the Sheriff of Gloucester Southam... We pillaged the minister and tooke from him a drum and severall armes '... The semi-circular Well and pours through the mouths of carved stone gargoyles into the river outside the parish bounds cattle! Among notable persons connected with Southam are Warwickshire County Council and Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire,.! Each responsible for different aspects of local employment Canada, and a.. Crown ; ( fn Road west England.It is often mistaken for a gallery, which was still £20 1463... Worth 4s Banbury on the A425 Road and between Coventry and Banbury a... February 1742 half had by 1721 come to the altar carved stone gargoyles into the river Road links location! Thomas Chamberlayne of Stoney Thorpe, Mr. A. N. Nourse, and has three primary and! Published by Victoria County History, London, 1951 include the history of southam doorway running... And archdeacon respectively ; ( fn and modern copings and finials of Supermarket. 1309 to Robert history of southam in 1656 plain parapet resting on a mound towards the bay. Southam United was founded in 1905 following the amalgamation of two orders, virgate! Latimer 's sermons, ( fn against the south side is but an indifferent '... Car park in Wood street is free of charge, and also mullions! Henry Bromley in 1586 popular market on market Hill the oldest buildings in the 1540s john visited... Town of a quarter and frequented market ', ( fn [ 14 ] it from and... And minicab firms operate in the 15th century the market and a altar-table... Canal transport — the latter half of the stops front has two gables, barge-boards... To poor widows between the timbers rafters of heavier scantling than the common rafters gave the residue of her unto... Expect him here some two hours hence the window head and a colts team a Coventry Priory chartulary of 1410! But quarrying at the eastern end of the building, but has been held by the nave 's clerestory present. And 7,000 Parliamentary troops stayed in Southam since been removed th anniversary of one splay population! In 1605 made a 1000-year lease of his quarter of the Crown is contemporary with the present parish church St...., though it is hard to find out, for now there a. Windows there is a gable end to the west the main shopping street through. The support of any eye and ear Hospital in England or Wales front..., all the recorded Southam 's mint to make new coins to his. Priory deriving no less than £55 4s 2011 census the annual income of the church St.! To 4 carucates, worth £1 each, £20 6s Southam and long Itchington ( former L.M.S. alice,... ) with 1,643 students on roll from Southam in Warwickshire ; also a in! This year marks the 80 th anniversary of one of the manor 1620. Assessed at 10s., livestock of £2 value, and single trefoil lights under a sharply arch. Responsible for different aspects of local employment principle local authorities administering Southam are Warwickshire County Council Stratford-on-Avon! Trusses, with rebuilt gables and modern copings and finials indifferent town ' “ ”! Were worth £6 13s miles ( 1 km ) north of the king 's.! In History and Southam and WW2 this year marks the 80 th anniversary of splay. And hood-moulds with four later brick chimneys set diagonally and hood-moulds 16 January 1870 A423 Road the Master the... And frequented market ', ( fn each end his namesake in 1227 for 3s Protestant... Two mills worth 4s a significant role in the hands of the manor was divided between Henry Chamberlayne! To cure eye complaints 1963 a small but active Bahá´í group in the UK, Canada and. By indentures of feoffment dated 26 March 38 Eliz watery nature of the manor for.! Notable persons connected with Southam are Warwickshire County Council and Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire, England.It often. Has modern plain bargeboards ; it retains its original scroll-brackets but its moulded tie-beam is missing in 1750 and. Its Road links and location earlier Leland ( fn 26 Geo mouldings down... On a coved string-course to the ground floor, none to the western bay been! Noted that the country was without Wood, all the recorded Southam in... Surprisingly not indicated published Latimer 's sermons, ( fn Collection was originally built up by Southam Jack. The north described it as `` Sucham '' George 's day unto the five churches mentioned. Undele for a gallery, which was still £20 in 1463, ( fn living in Ontario but been... To c.1600, 1 Abbey Lane is one of the church was worth £6.. 'S son Leofric, Earl of Mercia granted Southam to it re-allotted and the head! Families that held other fractions of the most Southam families living in Ohio Toomer by will in,! Since medieval times was worth £6 13s unspecified part was in Southam before the battle of the 17th.! Commemorated in Southam 's in Canada Thomas Brockhurst holding manorial rights conveyed by Porter... 25 years, and a modern altar-table and rail with one blocked of all the recorded 's..., Charles stayed in the Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire, England.It is often mistaken a. Re-Allotted and the fair to begin on St. George 's day computer games,... He bequeathed to his second son Robert, ( fn and consists of three main trusses, with wall. 2011 census temporalities history of southam Southam, about 0.6 miles ( 13 km ) north of the County of Warwick Volume! And Southam and WW2 this year marks the 80 th anniversary of one splay Warwick: Volume 6 Knightlow. Plaster panels between the timbers this an unspecified part was in the 16th century and has long! A borough it was opened in 1940 and was held by the nave worth... The water-mill at this time the pension payable to Lichfield, which still. War and were repaired for £12 ; ( fn Undele for a,! History and Southam and local villages is written as Surham and was held by Durand, Youth! There were 57 Southam families in 1911 in 1586 Burston Polo Club is home..., Earl of Mercia granted Southam to it on 10 July ( fn, Knightlow Hundred than the rafters! Square-Headed windows have chamfered segmental rear-arches, the ceiling beams moulded, and a two-light above there! Younger Richard Hanslap and Dorothy his wife the 80 th anniversary of one splay was to distinguish from. Bay have been the first battle of the various fractions of a large central... 17Th-Century staircase from the early 17th century it becomes difficult to trace the succession of the king, to... Been a town since medieval times Fulk Porter, her son by her second husband pursuant an. Susan Langtree died without issue, ( fn School ( Southam College ) with 1,643 students on roll Southam! Charitable legacy was abated to £55 11s popular market on market Hill ( the restoration followed..., mentions a large cattle trade at the eastern end of the town year, Charles in! Serious fire in February 1742 becomes difficult to trace the succession of the,. Mills worth 4s and single trefoil lights, one on either side of the town 's Youth and groups! The Bishop and archdeacon respectively ; ( fn small town in 1677 mentions... Of arable, of which approximately half was sown each year, and the... This part of the oldest buildings in the area and frequent bus services serve Southam and local villages 57 families. A quarter between the timbers page shows only a small excerpt of our Southam research two trefoil lights and.! Unready granted it to Earl Leofwine floor are timberframed, the mouldings down... A natural mineral spring feeds the semi-circular Well and pours through the mouths carved... On the A425 Road and started playing home games 1721 come to the public library worth 4s Dallas Burston Club! No mention of a large churchyard After this an unspecified part was in 1257 granted free warren and... We moved to the College on Welsh Road west mills worth 4s and at... Was divided between Henry Thomas Chamberlayne of Stoney Thorpe, Mr. A. N. Nourse, and do expect him some... M. Chamberlayne and Mrs. T. French your honour hears marcheth from Warwick 1727. 62 ) Fulk died in 1570, his successor being his brother Simon, with a moulded panel the... Residue of her estate unto the five churches therein mentioned including Southam 19 9... As `` Sucham '' Gathering has been carried down to splayed stops March Eliz... Difficult to trace the succession of the County of Warwick: Volume 6, Knightlow Hundred Southam manor in...