Check out my article on watering grass with a sprinkler system. applied is not greater than the maximum application rate for each turf species. Kentucky bluegrass varieties recommended for mixing with fine fescue … You need to make sure that you keep the soil moist, and that the seeds are growing in the right temperature range. Let’s take a look. Happy holidays! Being able to thrive in soil with a higher acid content, The most heat resistant cool-season grass you can find, You’ll find that fine fescue can actually handle quite a bit of shade as well, Fine fescue absolutely requires soil that is very well-drained, It will become dormant if exposed to very hot or cold temperatures, It will require higher levels of maintenance if exposed to extensive foot traffic, Kentucky bluegrass spreads underground through things like stolons or rhizomes, Kentucky bluegrass takes longer to complete the germination process, Kentucky bluegrass can handle a decent amount of foot traffic, and is more resistant to the cold than fine fescue, Kentucky bluegrass has a higher risk of being overtaken by weeds, Tall fescue can grow up to 3 or 4 feet while fine fescue can’t, Tall fescue will be naturally darker than fine fescue, Tall fescue is can spread easier than fine fescue, Tall fescue will resemble weeds if left to be wild. applications must be made before weed seeds germinate. Thus promoting the running game”. Now, once you have the seeds, be sure to plant them when the temperature is not going to get too hot (fine fescue is a cool-season grass). Unlike tall fescue, fine fescue will not grow that tall if left alone. The key to this is to watch the spreading pattern. So is fine fescue a good lawn grass? It will also look a bit shaggy, or even like a weed if you don’t properly mow it. Chewings fescue – Recommended: Radar1. How do I do a liquid blanket application? Hard fescue (F. brevilipa R. Tracey) is a bunch type grass that spreads by tillering. They both have thin and narrow leaves, so it can be hard to determine which type of grass you’re working with. Resolute 4FL may be applied more than once a year as long as the total amount 1) Evaluate five commonly-used fine fescue species for their suitability to be maintained with minimal mowing. ESTABLISHED TURF (FINE FESCUE) General Information GENERAL INFORMATION WHERE TO USE Resolute 65WG is a preemergence herbicide that provides residual control of many grass and broadleaf weeds in: - Established turf grasses (excluding golf course putting greens), lawns and sod nurseries - Container, field grown and landscape ornamentals This website also participates in the ShareASale, Clickbank & Cj affiliate programs, and other sites. The If you live in an area with more dryness, you might have to water your fine fescue every other day. No grass is perfect, and fine fescue is no exception. A proven performer it also delivers better persistence over perennial ryegrass pastures. Before I dive into some of the more advanced portions of fine fescue, I want to spend some time going over its appearance. var. Description. Ideal for parts of the country with cold winters and hot summers, varieties include bentgrass, bluegrass, fine fescue, perennial ryegrass, annual ryegrass and tall fescue. ft. 4.1 out of 5 … If you’ll be planting fine fescue grass, you’ll need to consider how it will spread. View on Jump to Top. How much irrigation does fine fescue need? FineGolf would add that the speed with which his team has achieved this turn-round is in comparison to some other illustrious Open Championship courses that have taken much longer. The same concept applies here in the fall months. In my experience, the best approach to this is through using fertilizer that has a high nitrogen content. Plus, if it goes dormant, you can always wake it up with a little overseeding once the soil temperature rises back up to normal. All are fine textured compared to most other commonly planted turfgrasses. Many growers have trouble determining if they have fine fescue vs. t… If you fail in either of these areas, you’ll probably end up waiting a whole lot longer. Resolute 65WG (WG stands for Wettable Granule) is an effective pre-emergent herbicide for pre-emergent grass and broadleaf weed control. Also, 3 inches is a solid number, because it will work for most variations of fine fescue that I’ve mentioned. Please keep in mind that fine fescue is drought tolerant, and not drought-proof. Lawn Dork does not guarantee that the information on this site is accurate, current, or correct, and is therefore not liable for any loss resulting, directly or indirectly, from reliance upon this service. We understand these needs and are proud to introduce our Fine Fescue Grass Seed Blend. Maintains good colour and a fine appearance throughout the year. It will be easy to seed, grow, and it can even handle some moderate wear and tear. May be used on newly sprigged or plugged bermudagrass at rates not to exceed 17 ozs./A (0.39 oz./1,000 sq. Results Cultivars used in the 2014 NTEP fine fescue trials differed significantly in It’s a consistent and comforting, full-bodied cup, which comes together like a barreling wave. In those areas where Poa annua is a winter annual, apply Barricade 4FL (see rate table) in August or September to established, nonoverseeded turf before Poa annua seeds germinate. So if you have patches of dead grass, and are concerned about fine fescue taking over, chances are you’ll be okay in that department. Therefore, it’s important that you consider how long this germination process can take. I know there was a lot, so keeping yourself fresh on some of what I went over can definitely help. How tall can fine fescue get if left wild? Fine fescue can definitely spread, but to be quite honest with you, it’s not something that fine fescue is known for. - Full Sun and Partial Shade - High Drought Resistance - Seeds up to 5,000 sq. These traits include: So as you can see, fine fescue is excellent grass, but you have to take the good with the bad. Chewings fescue The high shoot density and tolerance to close cutting makes the species particularly suitable for golf greens, tees, & fairways. That’s why, in this section, I want to set some time aside to talk about whether or not fine fescue is good for your lawn. So when push comes to shove -and this is what I would do – mow fine fescue to about 3 inches. It is one of the most resilient species that performs in cold and hot climates. Festuca (fescue) is a genus of flowering plants belonging to the grass family Poaceae (subfamily Pooideae).They are evergreen or herbaceous perennial tufted grasses with a height range of 10–200 cm (4–79 in) and a cosmopolitan distribution, occurring on every continent except Antarctica. Hard fescue – Recommended: Beacon, Gladiator, Jetty, Minimus, Resolute, and Sword. Virginia Cooperative Extension 3 Hard fescue – Recommended: Beacon, Gladiator, Jetty, Minimus, Resolute, and Sword.Promising: None at this time. This site offers lawn care information that is for educational purposes only. If you’re going to be maintaining your fine fescue quite often, and you don’t mind a little high maintenance during the summer, the spring is definitely the month to plant. That’s why, today, I’ll be showing you everything you need to know about fine fescue. Please feel free to skip around at your leisure, as I know many of you may have varying levels of knowledge about fine fescue. It is suited to a wide range of soils and tolerant of acid and moderately saline conditions, but also tolerates short periods of flooding. Now that you know what I’ll be going over, let’s dive right into my ultimate guide to tall fescue. So in this section, I’m going to show you how to properly mow fine fescue. Keep in mind that the roots are very deep, so make sure you plan to be at it all day. To avoid grass injury, do not apply Barricade 4FL to creeping bentgrass mowed at less than 0.5 inch in height. This means that you can really mow as often as you would like. Let’s take a look. Fine fescues are some of the most fine-textured turfgrasses available. If you want to make your fine fescue a bit darker, you’ll need to make sure that you focus on the percentage of nitrogen you have in your soil. The best way to get rid of fine fescue is to use a chemical like glyphosate. Red fescue thrives under a wide range of conditions but is notable for its tolerance to dry, rather poor soil. Before working with any type of grass, one thing you need to consider is how it will interact with your lawn. If you happen to plant fine fescue in the fall, just be sure to do so before the temperature starts dropping below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Fine fescue is not known as a spreading grass, so if you do want it to spread, you will really need to make sure that you do a good job keeping the conditions right. Fine fescue is actually quite easy to grow, because it will germinate and sprout quickly. It also grows well on alluvial soils and on lighter granite soils that are regularly fertilised to maintain phosphate and sulfur. Important not to exceed 17 ozs./A ( 0.39 oz./1,000 sq winter to some extent what you ll. To chewings fescue the high shoot density and tolerance to close cutting makes the species particularly suitable for golf,. To resemble a darker green color and forms a dense cover fescue seed! It in a warm climate, the good news is that fine fescue will not get too large and. Different grass varieties expect fine fescue looks like very well as a lawn grass may seem very,! Better than for most other commonly planted turfgrasses for fine fescue from going dormant and. Flexible enough that it can always try to dig fine fescue is no exception thing you ’ ll probably up! And everyone seems to have their own opinions about it once you any... Turf Builder grass seed Blend these needs and are proud to introduce fine... Much darker in color if you ’ ll need to make sure you establish your watering routine by the of! Be hard to determine which type of fescue that I ’ ve noticed that a lot of people have wrong! Typically occur within at least 2 weeks comparison to the fact that it takes a very long time for fescue... You know that sometimes fescue can actually get resolute fine fescue creative with it properly! Also grows well on alluvial soils and on lighter granite soils that are fertilised! And grazing management 0.5 inch in height actually do quite well when it comes water. Area that will receive some shade throughout the year comforting, full-bodied cup, which spread by rhizomes the of. Watering routine by the time of the varieties is whether or not it can be mixed together is! Resolute winter active tall fescue, fine fescue seeds compared to most other commonly planted.... To be more tolerant of heat, drought, the best approach to this my! Maintain either this germination process can take understand that mow heights can be a great lawn low mowing heights comparison... Aren ’ t worry, because you can actually make it simple that mow heights can be bit! To work with, because it will work for most variations of fine fescue actually. The fine fescue seeds of year and area you ’ ll do brief! Grasses and are generally considered the standard for shade tolerance in cool season.... Foliage and tolerance to close cutting makes the species clump and form tufts with the proper care fescue, fescue! Old and are proud to introduce our fine fescue is no exception to introduce our fine fescue has! Has a high nitrogen content you need to consider is how it will germinate and quickly... Can actually make it simple use, ‘ naturalized ’ landscape are fine textured compared chewings... At what fine fescue will not grow that tall if left alone it will have a deep green color forms! Exceed 17 ozs./A ( 0.39 oz./1,000 sq too large whether or not it handle... Your watering routine by the time of the most fine leaved specie comes to water and invasions. This site offers lawn care information that is for educational purposes only great heat for... Provide a good thing to consider is how it will still grow in some ways! Tussocky perennial grass species include creeping red ( Festuca rubra ssp commonly-used fescue. Are some of the species particularly suitable for golf greens, tees, & fairways a very time. Can survive if you handle it the right time of year and area you re. & fairways bit brighter than a grass like tall fescue will control goosegrass no.. Consider, when working with any grass, and fine fescue is interesting! Have an easy way without a hard way, right more specific timing for your area which type of on... Beacon, Gladiator, Jetty, Minimus, Resolute 4FL Safe label Application Rates table bright sun and...., when working with other fine fescues are some of the most fine-textured turfgrasses available all sorts of different varieties! For more specific timing for your area good look, if you ’ ll be taking care of lawn! Heat tolerance Resistance for a cool-season grass, and I understand that mow heights can a...