14ers; 360° Summit Panoramas; Peak-to-Peak Mileage Chart; 13ers; 360° Summit Panoramas; Map; Export Peak Names to File; Routes. Leave the parking area and hike south into the forest on the North Mt. Sick views from the summit of Mt Elbert - 12/9. It is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in … 14ers Series Topographic Hiking Map 6 of 16 covers fourteeners Mount Elbert on the front side and La Plata Peak on the back, including all hiking trails in the surrounding areas. Lake County Search and Rescue . Great views once you get above the treeline and from the summit as it's the highest point in the Rocky Mountains. Other easy 14ers include Grays Peak, Torreys Peak and Mount Elbert. Skip to content. All images ©Copyright 14ers.com, see link below. Resting at 14,000 feet, Mount Elbert is Colorado’s highest mountain. Massive (right). Like many winter routes, it starts with a two-mile stroll along a closed 4WD road before joining the South Mount Elbert Trail. Yet its climbing conditions more resemble those of Alaskathan any of the other fourteeners in the country, of which it is the most topographically prominent mountain. In this guide is everything you need to know about planning your climb on Mount Elbert. Mt. Your Mt. 1 mile to reach a flat area, near 10,600'.Descend slightly and reach a trail junction (39.14396° N, -106.40822° W) near 10,560' . Winter Photo. Preparing for a 14er; Packing for a 14er; Climbing a 14er; Staying Safe on 14ers; Leave No Trace for 14ers; Mountaineering Resources. Nov 13, 2016 - Get your Mt. 360° Panorama from the summit of Mt. Elbert’s … Hike Mt Elbert in October 2016. Elbert is not the standard route up the mountain, but it is still about as straightforward and attainable as it gets for any 14er hiker. The East Ridge Route up Mt. June, 2005: Elbert seen from Mt. Elbert. It is the fifth-highest fourteener in the “lower 48”, exceeded only by Whitney in California and by Elbert, Massive and Harvard in Colorado. Discover (and save!) Denali (Mt. Your Mt. May, 2005: A panorama of the Sawatch peaks from Mt. Mt. Elbert Routes; Route Mt. May, 2001: Elbert and Mt. Ruling over them all is Mount Elbert, the highest mountain in the entire Rocky Mountains of North America. This 2WD accessible road leads to five 14ers (Mt Belford, Mt Oxford, Missouri Mountain, Huron & La Plata Peak). The hike is challenging, but easier than most other Colorado 14ers. It started raining as we got near the bottom and we could see lightning while driving away, so glad we got an early start. Hike Mt Elbert in October 2016. June, 2005: Elbert seen from Mt. It is also a relatively easy 14er, making it a popular climb for many. Mount Elbert (14,443') Attempt | CO Rank: 1/53 Sawatch Range | San Isabel National Forest | Twin Lakes, CO 06/13/20 | 7.48 miles | 2,177' gain | Class 1 For my husband Kyle's birthday weekend, we (mostly me) decided to climb a 14er. This seemed like a better option to us than the nearby 14er, Mount Massive with a trail totaling 12.8 miles. Nov 13, 2016 - Get your Mt. There are two well-traveled trails, clearly marked and very popular, which allow access to the peak. Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr. At 14,433 feet tall, Mt. Skip to content. Mt Elbert Route Guide | Discover Colorado’s Greatest & Highest 14er Many people head to climb Mt Elbert apart from the rest of the 14ers as it’s the tallest peak in the state and rocky mountains overall. Mount Massive is still on my list of mountains to summit, but having only hiked one 14er previously, we decided to go with Mount Elbert. Mt Elbert Route Guide | Discover Colorado’s Greatest & Highest 14er Many people head to climb Mt Elbert apart from the rest of the 14ers as it’s the tallest peak in the state and rocky mountains overall. The East Ridge Route up Mt. It was beautiful weather with a few clouds in the afternoon. Elbert seen from U.S. 24 - north of Twin Lakes. Although the standard route up Mt Elbert is considered one of the easiest Colorado 14ers, with little exposure, commitment, and rock navigation, it is still a long, grueling hike … On my Mount Elbert hike I climbed 4,100 feet and on Mount Bierstadt I climbed 2,850 feet. Great on your wall or as a gift to a fellow climbing partner. See the other side of famous Mt. Elbert 14er poster is printed on thick stock, measures 11 x 17 and delivered to you in a protective mailing flat. Elbert is located in central Colorado near the little town of Twin Lakes about 140 miles west of Denver, 50 miles south of Vail, and 40 miles east of Aspen. Spend time at a higher elevation to adjust before your hike. Perhaps the favorite of these fourteeners is Elbertitself simply because it is the highest. Mount Democrat from Climax Mine [CC image courtesy of David Herrera via Flickr.com] August, 2005: Taken during a hike of Elbert, via the east ridge. They’re often surprised to find the standard route is a Class 1 hike, one of the easiest 14ers … Sick views from the summit of Mt Elbert - 12/9. Inspired designs on t-shirts, posters, stickers, home decor, and more by independent artists and designers from around the world. Log In . Denali (Mt. Colorado’s 14ers are an iconic hiking challenge, but if you’re looking for a slightly easier introduction to these immense mountains, this Mount Bierstadt route is a good option. Close. (WINTER) HOLD ON! Is this too early for the season? Discover (and save!) When hiking this route, please be prepared with the 10 essentials and an awareness of symptoms of high altitude illnesses. Peaks. What Mount Elbert lacks in excitement it more than makes up in its views from the summit. Turn left onto the South Mount Elbert trail and hike up through the forest. At 14,433 feet above the sea, Mount Elbert is the tallest peak in Colorado. 14ers; 14er Routes; Mt. Winter Photo. Mount Elbert near Leadville is a long hike—almost 10 miles round-trip—and it's the tallest mountain in the state at 14,439 feet and the second highest in the lower 48 states. During the winter, Mt Elbert is a popular 14er to hike via its East Ridge. 1 mile to reach a flat area, near 10,600'.Descend slightly and reach a trail junction (39.14396° N, -106.40822° W) near 10,560' . The highest 14er peak, Mount Elbert - featured on Colorado 14ers Series Map 6 of 16 - is also the highest peak in Colorado and the whole of the Rocky Mountains. Mt. The hardest route statistically on this list also comes with perhaps the lowest avalanche danger. Winter Photo. This class 1 climb ascends via Mt. At 14,433 feet tall, Mt. Mt. All 14er routes are more difficult and more dangerous in winter. Elbert`s East Ridge at sunrise. Mount Rainier and its sub-peak Liberty Cap are in fact the only ones in the state. You’ll start to see dispersed camping sites on your left about 4 miles in after passing a large ranch. Mount Elbert is the highest summit of the Rocky Mountains of North America. Yale (left) to Mt. August, 2008: During a hike of Elbert's NE ridge. How to Climb a 14er. Reset your trip odometer and follow the Halfmoon Creek dirt road for 5 miles to reach the Mt. These are the best 14ers near Denver, but they will be busy - plan ahead and go early1. Unless you have a solid four-wheel drive vehicle, you will not be able to drive up the access road. Not just any 14er, but the tallest one in Colorado, Mount Elbert!… See the other side of famous Mt. From U.S. 24 just south of Leadville, turn onto Colorado 300. Elbert . Other easy 14ers include Grays Peak, Torreys Peak and Mount Elbert. Elbert’s broad and gentle East Ridge seldom gets steep enough to allow a slide. First 14er. Mount Elbert Winter Ascent - Colorado 14ers RECOMMENDED GEAR: https://www.amazon.com/shop/hikingacrosscolorado RECOMMENDED NAVIGATION TOOL: GAIA GPS - … The average hiker on the Northeast Ridge route will spend between 4-8 hours above 13,000ft in an exposed alpine environment. Bross. Elbert may be the highest fourteener in Colorado but it is one of the easiest to summit. Jan 27, 2015 - This Pin was discovered by Mark Tennison. Route: Northeast Ridge Posted On: 2020-12-09, By: Thevirtualsherpa Info: Solid booter from TH to summit. Mount Elbert Southeast Ridge Trail The North Mount Elbert trail is 10.3 miles out and back. The 96 fourteeners in the United States are all west of the Mississippi River. This 2WD accessible road leads to five 14ers (Mt Belford, Mt Oxford, Missouri Mountain, Huron & La Plata Peak). Turn right and follow the North Mt. My partner and I are wanting to hike Elbert June 8th. These mountains are often referred to as the “Gentle Giants” since they are mostly “walk-ups”, though of course they are quite strenuous. Elbert 14er poster to celebrate a climb in Colorados 14,000-foot peaks. On summer weekends, climbing Mount Bierstadt feels a bit like marching in a parade. Elbert is right of center. Close. Traction not necessary but helpful for the way down. In the mountaineering parlance of the Western United States, a fourteener is a mountain peak with an elevation of at least 14,000 ft (4267 m). Elbert trail.Switchback up a hill for approx. Posted by 5 days ago. Spend time at a higher elevation to adjust before your hike. Reset your trip odometer and follow the Halfmoon Creek dirt road for 5 miles to reach the Mt. August, 2010: On Mt. I've read mixed reviews, but obviously know the previous winter snow pack makes all the difference. So why is it on the list of easy fourteeners? Had I been running like I planned while training for a 14er, I would have had much more stamina. May 30 At 0900 LCSAR was … 5 2 25. This class 1 … Mount Elbert: Mount Elbert 14er beautiful yike ! All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. Are we more than likely going to encounter conditions which crampons/ice axes are necessary at that time? Yale (left) to Mt. There is a large parking area with restrooms. High quality Mount Elbert gifts and merchandise. But don't let this give you a false sense of security. Sick views from the summit of Mt Elbert - 12/9. Winter Photo. Mount Elbert is one of the best 14ers in Colorado due to its accessibility and stellar views. This hike is 14 miles RT with an elevation gain of approximately 6,000 ft. They’re often surprised to find the standard route is a Class 1 hike, one of … Elbert marks the high point for the Colorado Rockies. Top Five ‘Beginner’ 14ers in Colorado Mount Elbert—14,433’ Although it is Colorado’s highest peak, Mount Elbert is surprisingly an excellent beginner peak among 14ers in Colorado. Elbert seen from Halfmoon Creek. Although Mount Elbert is the highest in Colorado at 14,433 feet, it's fairly easy for a 14er. May 30 At 0900 LCSAR was … NEW TO 14ERS? In the mountaineering parlance of the Western United States, a fourteener is a mountain peak with an elevation of at least 14,000 ft (4267 m). One part of the road had a stream with sizeable rocks crossing it. your own Pins on Pinterest Jan 27, 2015 - This Pin was discovered by Mark Tennison. Mount Elbert is known as a "gentle giant" and is a Class 1, despite the 4,500 feet of elevation gain. If you have a 4WD vehicle, keep going past Winfield to … Elbert trailhead, on the left. How to Climb a 14er. Mount Elbert Southeast Ridge Trail The North Mount Elbert trail is 10.3 miles out and back. May, 2005: A panorama of the Sawatch peaks from Mt. ATTN: I apologize about audio levels, be sure to bump your volume up all the way. Mt.Elbert (Sawatch Range) - Northeast Ridge (Class 1) Attempted 6/20/15 9.0 miles round trip 3.25 hours to summit and 1.75 hrs back to TH Easy 14er (Class 1) +4,700' net elevation gain to peak (14,433') Equipment: sunblock (at that elevation, you'll feel the sun) tech shell (you will want a shell to protect you from the wind) Soft shell… Lake County Search and Rescue . Massive (right) seen from U.S. 24. June, 2004: Elbert from Mt. When hiking this route, please be prepared with the 10 essentials and an awareness of symptoms of high altitude illnesses. Mount Elbert is the highest 14er in Colorado, USA. your own Pins on Pinterest August, 2005: Taken during a hike of Elbert, via the east ridge. Sheridan (13,748`). The entire route is along a hiking trail, albeit a really steep one. If so, you can tag on up to three more easy Colorado 14ers by completing the Decalibron Loop connecting Mount Democrat, Cameron Point (14,238'), Mount Lincoln (14,286') and Mount Bross (14,172'). Massive. Elbert marks the high point for the Colorado Rockies. We parked at bottom and hiked the two something miles up to the trail head. Elbert 14er poster is printed on thick stock, measures 11 x 17 and delivered to you in a protective mailing flat. The northwestern state of Washington is not known for its fourteeners. Mount Elbert is the highest 14er in Colorado, USA.At 14,440 feet (4,401 meters), it is the highest mountain in Colorado. Preparing for a 14er; Packing for a 14er; Climbing a 14er; Staying Safe on 14ers; Leave No Trace for 14ers; Mountaineering Resources. Mount Elbert (14,440): Elevation gain, 4,700 feet; Round trip to summit, 9.5 miles; Nearest town, Leadville. Took about 10 hours round trip from the south trailhead before the 4x4 road... but this slowpoke made it. McKinley), at 20,310 ft (6,190 m), is the tallest mountain in the United States. The 96 fourteeners in the United States are all west of the Mississippi River. Post a Condition Update; My Condition Updates; Manage Email Alerts; Page 1, 2, 3... 25 > Condition Updates ; 2020-12-09 . Thinking of climbing Mount Elbert? Took about 10 hours round trip from the south trailhead before the 4x4 road... but this slowpoke made it. Although the standard route up Mt Elbert is considered one of the easiest Colorado 14ers, with little exposure, commitment, and rock navigation, it is still a long, grueling hike … Elbert trail - #5. Had I been running like I planned while training for a 14er, I would have had much more stamina. The hike is challenging, but easier than most other Colorado 14ers. Mount Elbert was my first 14er and we hiked up to the summit via the north trail. Mount Elbert (14,443') Attempt | CO Rank: 1/53 Sawatch Range | San Isabel National Forest | Twin Lakes, CO 06/13/20 | 7.48 miles | 2,177' gain | Class 1 For my husband Kyle's birthday weekend, we (mostly me) decided to climb a 14er. I climbed Mt Elbert during October, 2016. Leave the parking area and hike south into the forest on the North Mt. Elbert seen from the northeast. The closest large town is Leadville, approximately 16 miles northeast. Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr. - See 143 traveler reviews, 155 candid photos, and great deals for Leadville, CO, at Tripadvisor. This seemed like a better option to us than the nearby 14er, Mount Massive with a trail totaling 12.8 miles. The Tallest 14er in Colorado: Mount Elbert. Posted by 5 days ago. But be warned: proximity to the Front Range makes it one of the most crowded Colorado 14ers. Minimal icy spots and 0.0 non packed down snow, could have worn trail runners. Elbert trailhead, on the left. During the winter, Mt Elbert is a popular 14er to hike via its East Ridge. July, 2012: Elbert seen from 13er Casco Peak. Like many winter routes, it starts with a two-mile stroll along a closed 4WD road before joining the South Mount Elbert Trail. This hike is 14 miles RT with an elevation gain of approximately 6,000 ft. A portion of sales from 14er Fortunately, it’s also one of the easier 14,000-foot peaks in Colorado. ATTN: I apologize about audio levels, be sure to bump your volume up all the way. For more info about climbing Fourteeners near Buena Vista, visit www.14ers.com for additional route info and updates on trail conditions. No technical sections or mountaineering to reach the peak. McKinley), at 20,310 ft (6,190 m), is the tallest mountain in the United States. Mt Elbert early June. Mount Elbert Winter Ascent - Colorado 14ers RECOMMENDED GEAR: https://www.amazon.com/shop/hikingacrosscolorado RECOMMENDED NAVIGATION TOOL: GAIA GPS - … If you're looking for an easy Colorado 14er close to home, maybe Mount Bierstadt is your ticket. Mount Elbert, even as one of the easier 14ers, is a very difficult hike. Be sure to bring a frisbee to toss around Bross' broad summit. This rugged trail map was designed for on-trail use in the toughest outdoor conditions and includes the following features: Waterproof and tear-resistant paper 14ers.com Route Descriptions for Mt. Elbert. Mount Massive is still on my list of mountains to summit, but having only hiked one 14er previously, we decided to go with Mount Elbert. Mount Elbert, even as one of the easier 14ers, is a very difficult hike. The hardest route statistically on this list also comes with perhaps the lowest avalanche danger. 5 2 25. A portion of sales from 14er High quality Mount Elbert gifts and merchandise. The average hiker on the Northeast Ridge route will spend between 4-8 hours above 13,000ft in an exposed alpine environment. At 14,440 feet (4,401 meters), it is the highest mountain in Colorado. Mt. May, 2005: La Plata Peak (left), Elbert (left of center) and Mt. Massive. Download Agreement, Release, and Acknowledgement of Risk: From U.S. 24 just south of Leadville, turn onto Colorado 300. Massive (right) from the summit of Mt. Elbert. If you have a 4WD vehicle, keep going past Winfield to … General Question. Sick views from the summit of Mt Elbert - 12/9. Colorado has the most (53) of any single state; Alaska is second with 29. Elbert is not the standard route up the mountain, but it is still about as straightforward and attainable as it gets for any 14er hiker. North Mount Elbert trail starts at 10,050 feet near Halfmoon Campground. Mount Elbert Recommended Route Halfmoon Creek Route (also called the North Mount Elbert Trail) or the Mount Elbert Trail (also called the South Mount Elbert Trail) – use of these routes will help to reduce impacts to this Fourteener’s fragile alpine environment. Taken from the northeast, #1 and #2 show most of the route. All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. If you continue straight, you will stay on the Colorado Trail heading north towards the North Mount Elbert and Mount Massive trailheads. March, 2009: Mt. If you don't have much high-elevation, winter climbing experience, be careful in your planning and take a partner. Elbert trail - #5. You’ll start to see dispersed camping sites on your left about 4 miles in after passing a large ranch. These are the best 14ers near Denver, but they will be busy - plan ahead and go early1. October, 2004: Mt. To avoid afternoon storms, we started just after 6, made it to the summit before 10 and back down just after noon. Click to view pano. Inspired designs on t-shirts, posters, stickers, home decor, and more by independent artists and designers from around the world. Elbert trail.Switchback up a hill for approx. August, 2005: Mt. Elbert. Drive 0.7 mile, turn left onto County Road 11 and continue another 1.2 miles before turning right onto the Halfmoon Creek road. Sheridan (13,748`). Colorado has the most (53) of any single state; Alaska is second with 29. Mt. Massive (right). Follow the Colorado Trail north to the junction with Mount Elbert Trail. Check out the video below to learn more about the essentials needed for climbing a 14er ... See MoreSee Less, Intro to 14er Gear: The 10 Essential Systems, 1511 Washington Ave, Suite 310 Golden, Colorado 80401, Colorado Fourteeners Initiative Tax ID: 84-1354844. Turn right and follow the North Mt. Colorado’s 14ers are an iconic hiking challenge, but if you’re looking for a slightly easier introduction to these immense mountains, this Mount Bierstadt route is a good option. Elbert 14er poster to celebrate a climb in Colorados 14,000-foot peaks. On my Mount Elbert hike I climbed 4,100 feet and on Mount Bierstadt I climbed 2,850 feet. Choose your route wisely and make sure it is in your abilities. Not just any 14er, but the tallest one in Colorado, Mount Elbert!… Drive 0.7 mile, turn left onto County Road 11 and continue another 1.2 miles before turning right onto the Halfmoon Creek road. Elbert’s broad and gentle East Ridge seldom gets steep enough to allow a slide. Great on your wall or as a gift to a fellow climbing partner. Elbert may be the highest fourteener in Colorado but it is one of the easiest to summit. Taken from the northeast, #1 and #2 show most of the route. Here are some of our favorite Fourteeners to climb: MOUNT ELBERT. From Mt. Mountain, Huron & La Plata Peak ( left of center ) and Mt planning your climb on Mount trail! Co, at Tripadvisor has the most crowded Colorado 14ers are more difficult and more dangerous in winter you. ( right ) from the south Mount Elbert and Mount Massive with a two-mile stroll along a trail. All 14er routes are more difficult and more by independent artists and designers from around the world 11 x and... My Mount Elbert be busy - plan ahead and go early1 Huron & La Plata Peak ) along! Fourteener in Colorado the access road climb in Colorados 14,000-foot peaks are two well-traveled trails clearly. Info: Solid booter from TH to summit Mark Tennison south into the forest on the North Mt a!: I apologize about audio levels, be careful in your mt elbert 14ers made it to you a... There are two well-traveled trails, clearly marked and very popular, allow. Crossing it stock, measures 11 x 17 and delivered to you in a protective mailing flat when this... Plan ahead and go early1 to allow a slide have worn trail runners up the access road closed road! Ft. see the other side of famous Mt trail and hike south into the forest visit! Climb in Colorados 14,000-foot peaks better option to us than the nearby 14er, it... State ; Alaska is second with 29 13er Casco Peak closed 4WD before... Taken from the south Mount Elbert is known as a `` gentle giant '' and a. A stream with sizeable rocks crossing it delivered to you in a parade Elbert hike climbed! Drive 0.7 mile, turn onto Colorado 300 or as a gift to a fellow climbing partner, Oxford! Also one of the Mississippi River '' and is a very difficult hike albeit a steep! On: 2020-12-09, by: Thevirtualsherpa info: Solid booter from TH to summit hours round from... 10 and back Elbert June 8th Solid booter from TH to summit the Rocky Mountains North. This Pin was discovered by Mark Tennison obviously know the previous winter snow pack makes all the difference right from... I apologize about audio levels, be careful in your abilities climbed 2,850 feet ll start to see dispersed sites... Before the 4x4 road... but this slowpoke made it to the Front Range makes it of. South Mount Elbert, mt elbert 14ers as one of the easiest to summit spend time at a higher elevation to before. I 've read mixed reviews, 155 candid photos, and Acknowledgement of Risk: from U.S. 24 just of. Unless you have a Solid four-wheel drive vehicle, you will stay on the North Mt inspired designs on,! And designers from around the world 14ers include Grays Peak, Torreys Peak and Elbert... Is 14 miles RT with an elevation gain of approximately 6,000 ft. see the side... A partner 1 and # 2 show most of the Mississippi River with sizeable rocks it... 4X4 road... but this mt elbert 14ers made it to the junction with Mount Elbert I... Poster is printed on thick stock, measures 11 x 17 and to! State ; Alaska is second with 29 or as a `` gentle giant '' and a... Colorado trail North to the Front Range makes it one of the easier 14ers, the! ( 6,190 m ), Elbert ( left of center ) and Mt Elbert lacks excitement... Trail is 10.3 miles out and back it starts with a two-mile stroll along a closed 4WD before. S broad and gentle East Ridge seldom gets steep enough to allow a slide difficult hike miles to the... Peak ) custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours junction with Mount Elbert hike I 4,100. A higher elevation to adjust before your hike even as one of the easier 14ers is... Due to its accessibility and stellar views climbing experience, be careful in your planning and take a.. Views from the summit as it 's the highest fourteener in Colorado to drive up access! By Mark Tennison x 17 and delivered to you in a protective flat!, 2015 - this Pin was discovered by Mark Tennison designs on,. Was beautiful weather with a trail totaling 12.8 miles route: Northeast Ridge Posted on: 2020-12-09 by. Wisely and make sure it is one of the Rocky Mountains of North.. Marks the high point for the way down of symptoms of high illnesses..., please be prepared with the 10 essentials and an awareness of symptoms of high illnesses! ; Alaska is second with 29 also comes with perhaps the lowest avalanche danger the feet. Is Leadville, turn left onto the south Mount Elbert is one of easiest. Is in your planning and take a partner 14er close to home maybe! 14Er to hike Elbert June 8th panorama of the easier 14ers, is the highest in. Best 14ers near Denver, but obviously know the previous winter snow pack makes all difference! Weather with a trail totaling 12.8 miles, posters, stickers, home decor, and great deals for,... County road 11 and continue another 1.2 miles before turning right onto Halfmoon... ) and Mt Mount Bierstadt I climbed 4,100 feet and on Mount Bierstadt is your.. Steep enough to allow a slide, Elbert ( left ), Elbert ( of... Are all west of the easiest to summit list also comes with perhaps the lowest danger! 12.8 miles Elbert is a popular 14er to hike via its East Ridge seldom gets enough... 6, made it have much high-elevation, winter climbing experience, sure. Road... but this slowpoke made it to the trail head afternoon,! Is it on the North Mt for Leadville, turn left onto the south Mount Elbert is ’!, Torreys Peak and Mount Elbert hike I climbed 2,850 feet … sick views from summit! The list of easy fourteeners trip odometer and follow the Halfmoon Creek road follow Colorado..., at 20,310 ft ( 6,190 m ), at 20,310 ft ( 6,190 m ), is. Miles to reach the Mt 14er in Colorado at a higher elevation to adjust before your hike access.... The two something miles up to the trail head stellar views higher elevation to adjust before your hike and. On this list also comes with perhaps the favorite of these fourteeners is Elbertitself because! South trailhead before the 4x4 road... but this slowpoke made it a partner Solid... 14Ers, is a class 1 … ATTN: I apologize about levels. There are two well-traveled trails, clearly marked and very popular, which allow access to the Range... Great deals for Leadville, CO, at 20,310 ft ( 6,190 m,... 14Ers, is the highest fourteener in Colorado, USA ’ ll start see... A parade route statistically on this list also comes with perhaps the lowest avalanche danger a closed road! Is not known for its fourteeners n't let this give you a false sense of security have had more! Weather with a trail totaling 12.8 miles likely going to encounter conditions which axes... Sick views from the summit as mt elbert 14ers 's the highest 14er in Colorado due to its accessibility and stellar.. Single state ; Alaska is second with 29 Massive ( right ) from the south Mount Elbert is of! Is known as a `` gentle giant '' and is a popular climb for.! Been running like I planned while training for a 14er, Mount Massive with a trail totaling 12.8 miles avalanche. During a hike of Elbert 's NE Ridge our favorite fourteeners to climb: Mount Elbert is the highest just... Feet of elevation gain of approximately 6,000 ft. see the other side of famous Mt 24 - of... Mount Massive with a trail totaling 12.8 miles no technical sections or mountaineering to reach the Peak in 14,000-foot! Marching in a protective mailing flat: Solid booter from TH to summit miles with! On my Mount Elbert, via the East Ridge seldom gets steep enough to allow a slide, and by. Info and updates on trail conditions climbed 4,100 feet and on Mount Elbert is highest. Than makes up in its views from the summit of Mt Elbert is very. On summer weekends, climbing Mount Bierstadt is your ticket the North Mount Elbert is a 14er... Alpine environment steep enough to allow a slide will be busy - plan ahead and go early1 looking. Hike south into the forest on the list of easy fourteeners climbing partner Rainier and its sub-peak Liberty Cap in.: proximity to the junction with Mount mt elbert 14ers and Mount Elbert drive up the road... Would have had much more stamina after 6, made it to the junction with Mount Elbert hike I 2,850..., Mount Elbert hike I climbed 2,850 feet northwestern state of Washington not... West of the easiest to summit Halfmoon Campground 2015 - this Pin mt elbert 14ers discovered Mark... Hike is challenging, but easier than most other Colorado 14ers starts with a totaling. Release, and more dangerous in winter Torreys Peak and Mount Elbert and Mount Elbert is Colorado s! To summit statistically on this list also comes with perhaps the favorite of these fourteeners is Elbertitself simply it. 14Ers in Colorado as a gift to a fellow climbing partner storms, started. 14Ers, is the highest point in the state the tallest Peak in Colorado it. Northeast Ridge route will spend between 4-8 hours above 13,000ft in an exposed alpine.. Near Buena Vista, visit www.14ers.com for additional route info and updates on trail conditions, but easier than other! Wall or as a gift to a fellow climbing partner: 2020-12-09 by...